Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nail-Aween Challenge, Day 2: Matte Doticure & Matte Top Coat Comparison

This past week at work was pretty tough, and I was too wiped out at night to change my manicure, so I went pink all week.  But it's the weekend, and I did Day 2 of the Nail-Aween Nail Art Challenge:  Matte Dotticure.  

I'm still not totally confident in my dotting ability, so this was truly a challenge for me.  I've had this one in my "Must-Do-Mani's" Pinterest Board for a while now, so I figured it was time to give it a go!  

I used Orly's "Grave Mistake" and "Decoded" for a dark, vampy-like effect.  I also took this opportunity to compare Butter London "Matte Finish" & NYC "Matte Me Crazy", and I used both to matte-ify the dotticure, just to see if there was any difference (besides the price).

This mani was hard for me to photograph.  Here's with flash:



Here's no flash:



Can you tell a difference between the matte top coats?  Neither could I!  Butter is on the pinky & ring fingers, and NYC is on the others.  The Butter's brush dragged my dots when I first applied on the pinky, so I used a much thicker coat & lighter touch for the ring finger, and got much better results.  I had no issues w/NYC.  Dry time was about the same.  Butter retails for $18 for 17.5ml, and NYC is $2 for 9.7ml; a "normal" bottle of nail polish is 15ml, so these are kind of weird amounts.  I know which one I'll be stocking up on ;-)

As far as the dotticure goes, it's okay.  I'm not liking the transition line, which is supposed to be the coolest part.  But I'm glad I finally tried out this technique, and I know it will look better the next time I do it! ;-)

Here are the other peeps doing this challenge with me, so check 'em out!



3 comments:

  1. I have this design on my Pinterest board as well! And I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried this once, and it was a horrible fail - I think yours turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete